30 November 2017

Film Review: Paddington 2 - Better Than The Original?!

Hola Lexicans! So on the weekend, my family and I went to one of our local cinemas (or I think as my American readers call it - the theaters (I don't know, do you call them that?!!) to watch a new movie release on Paddington 2, the sequel to Paddington*. I really enjoyed the original and for quite a while it was my favourite film ever, so whilst I know I'm not the target audience anymore I was still very excited to go see it. And I did really enjoy it, so I thought I would share with you a spoiler-free, review on Paddington 2.

*feel like that was obvious.. but oh well

I'm sure all of you have either a) seen Paddington 1, b) read the book or c) just know what it's about (ahah feel like a quizmaster), but just in case I thought I'd share with you a basic summary on what it's all about. Paddington stars a young bear (called Paddington!) who is sent to London to try and make a life, there he gets taken in by the Brown family and gets up to lots of mischief, which could lead to danger. In the sequel, Paddington is on the hunt for the perfect birthday present to send to his Aunt Lucy, who is back in Peru when he comes across a pop-up of London. He identifies it as being the perfect gift, but what he doesn't realise is that it contains the secrets of how to find a huge treasure chest, meaning that someone also has their eye on the book. Then one night, Paddington spots someone breaking in and stealing the book, but he is arrested as the culprit and ends up getting sent to jail! Simply put the film tells the story of Paddington and the Browns trying to defeat the 'baddie', clear Paddington's name and is all about kindness.


credits

So firstly, yes I know the plot sounds like such a cliché, ordinary children's film but actually what makes it so good are all the smaller things. Firstly, the film is really funny! The jokes aren't too cheesy or childish so adults and teenagers would find them funny, but they're still easy to understand so they appeal to kids as well. And then on the other side of the spectrum, this films gets in parts unexpectedly sweet and heart-warming. I think most kids films have a "message" to them these days, but actually this one is particularly touching and has a really nice ending.

My parents came as well and they both really enjoyed it, so it's definitely family-approved. I just asked my mum to give me a sentence to describe her opinions on it, so I thought I'd share them with you (it's actually a very condensed way of saying what I've been rambling on about for nearly the whole post ahah!):

'I thought it was a lovely, heart-warming film that had a message of kindness at its core.'



SO, it's definitely one that is great for any member of the family - young children, tweens, teens and adults and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a really lovely film to watch this winter.

Now one of the questions I really wanted to address in this review, as I've heard more than a couple of people saying that actually preferred it to number one, so I wanted to think about and answer the question: is it better than the original? As a short answer, personally yes! This is definitely very rare (or at least for me) when it comes to films that have a sequel, as a basic rule the original is always the best, BUT.. in my eyes this film was funnier, had a better plot AND was more heart-warming, so actually I think I preferred Paddington 2 >.<

Overall I really enjoyed Paddington 2 and would whole-heartedly recommend it to families who want a nice, comforting watch that still has action and comedy when its cold this winter.

I'll be back in a couple of days with a November Recap, and then shortly after that a Christmas Wish list and Teen Gift Guide so stay tuned:)

Xxx

2 comments:

  1. Haha Americans say movie theater. :) Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m so happy u make these, they are so fun to read, and they acitslly make me laugh sm I hope u continue with ur blog, and instagram as both are amazing ����

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting!:)